Mobilization with Movement (MWM) manual therapy techniques were discovered and developed by a physical therapist from New Zealand named Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip MT. He is considered to be one of the greatest contributors to manual therapy. The Mulligan Concept is a simple yet effective manual approach which addresses musculoskeletal disorders by manual joint "repositioning" techniqes. These techniques are used to improve range of motion of a joint and reduce pain.
Common Indications for this approach:
- Pain of a non-inflammatory nature
- Acute pain from injury
- Loss of motion due to arthritic conditions
- Headaches and dizziness due to neck problems
- Jaw or TMJ pain and movement restrictions
- Acute to chronic ankle sprains
- "Tennis elbow" or lateral elbow pain
At Zaffarese Physical Therapy, several of our therapists have had the opportunity to take courses from Brian Mulligan. We are proud to say that our own Chitra Salgame, PT, Cert. MDT is a Certified Mulligan Practitioner (CMP).